All data used in rankings and calculations is provided by FoundationMark and FoundationIQ and reflects foundations with over $1 million in assets.
Overall Ranking by State
- Pennsylvania foundations reported total assets of $42.5 billion, ranking 6th among states.
- Pennsylvania foundations 5 year total asset growth of 4.4%, ranked 31st.
- The average 5 year annualized return of Pennsylvania foundations for the period ended December 31, 2017 was 8.8%, 5th place.
- Since 2013 Pennsylvania foundations assets have increased by $8.3 billion from $34.2 billion to $42.5 billion.
- Pennsylvania’s growth rate (blue hashed line) of 4.4% was slower than the overall foundation universe growth rate (yellow hashed line) of 5.4%.
- Pennsylvania foundations estimated median performance for the 1-yr, 3-yr, and 5-yr periods ended Dec 31, 2017 was 15.7%, 6.8%, and 8.8% respectively.
- For the five year period, FoundationMark estimates Pennsylvania foundations outperformed the overall U.S. foundation universe by 72 basis points per year.
Disclosed Investment Expenses
- Pennsylvania foundations reported $227.9 million in disclosed investment expenses for the most recent year.
- Median investment expenses for Pennsylvania foundations of 59 basis points were 6 basis points lower than the national median of 65 basis points.
As shown in the chart below, Pennsylvania had a higher percentage of foundations in the lower fee columns (on the left) and a lower percentage in the higher (on the right).
Foundations by Portfolio Strategy
Foundations by Asset Level
There are close to 2,600 Pennsylvania foundations with assets over $1 million.
- Pennsylvania has 5 of the top 100 foundation by asset size in the US.
- Over 200 Pennsylvania foundations have assets of over $25 million.
Top 10 Foundations by Assets
- Half of the top 10 foundations are in Pittsburgh.
- 5 Pennsylvania foundations have over $1 billion.
Foundations by County and City
- Pennsylvania foundations received $1.4 billion in incoming contributions in the most recent year, and $7.9 billion cumulatively over the past 5 years, eighth most of all states.
Grants, Gifts and Operating Expenses
- Pennsylvania foundations paid $2.8 billion in grants, gifts, and operating expenses in the most recent year, and $12.5 billion cumulatively over the past 5 years, sixth largest in dollar terms.
- Pennsylvania’s 5-year giving growth of 5.2% per year trailed the national average of 6.2% and ranked in the bottom half among all states over the period.